Foresee Foundation Brings Beloved Soualichi Sint Maarten Folk Tales to the Community – Connecting through Our Culture
Welcome to Soualichi Stories!
The Soualichi Stories series includes our island’s most beloved legends as told by some exceptional Sint Maarten storytellers. The series was initiated during Sint Maarten’s period of social distancing in order to bring the Sint Maarten community a sense of connection through our shared heritage and culture.
Stories can bring us together
“We listen to these stories and we all share in the experience – they bring us close together, at a time when distance keeps us all healthy.” Foresee Foundation President, Jose Sommers
Our Name. The name Soualichi joins together two historical names for our land: Soualiga and Oualichi. Soualiga is a native word meaning land of salt, while Oualichi means land of brave women. By combining this ancient heritage, the project again builds on its theme of connections and unity.
Please see our Facebook page for our weekly broadcast lineup!
Inquiries and to suggest additional St. Maarten folk stories and story tellers: Contact Foresee Foundation and Soualichi Stories Project Coordinator, Laura Hartman. For more information about our stories visit, like and share our Facebook page: fb.com/foreseefoundation .
- Project Coordinator: Laura Hartman
- Project Oversight: Foresee Foundation (Jose Sommers: Foresee Foundation General Director and Initiator, Sjorensly Valies: Foresee Foundation President, Cassandra Richardson: Foresee Foundation Liason Director.)
- Recording: Tim van Dijk, Radio host at Oasis 96.3 and Joshua Bowers, AICON Media
- Editing: Kevin “Suppa” Petrona, host of Suppa Duppa morning show at Laser 101, Tim van Dijk, Joshua Bowers
- Storytelling: Papa Umpo, Clara Reyes and others (TBD)
- Marketing and Communication: Alston Lourens, Marketing Director Foresee Foundation
- Intros: Kevin “Suppakid” Petrona
- Philipsburg Broadcasting, (Francis Carty, Owner/Director) – Mix 94.7 fm / Laser 101.1 fm
- Island 92 Radio (Dr. Soc) – 92.5 fm
- My88 – The My Good Morning Show with Alston & Mizzy – 88.3 fm
- PJD2 – The Voice of St. Maarten – 102.7 fm
- Radio St. Martin – 105.5 fm
- SOS Radio – 95.9 fm
- SXMGOV – 107.9 fm
- TuneCarib – TV Carib (online)